FILERO is configured to the customer's requirements. FILERO is designed to be easily customized to accommodate the full range of your business activities. You can store and fully text index all types of structured and unstructured data in FILERO: documents, emails with attachments, MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, PDFs, images, CAD and nearly all other file types. Thus an organization can store and find all their structured and unstructured content in FILERO: customer related information, compliance documentation, travel documentation, insurance documents, photographs, plans, CAD drawings, audio clips, address and phone books, archives, inventories, tracking information for physical materials, internet resources (with direct links), services contracts and performance records, personnel records, financial invoice and purchase records, software licence information, software programs - in short, everything and anything relevant to your business.
Not only does FILERO store all these varied types of data, it keeps data organized, secure and lets you retrieve it in its original format. Even as Microsoft stops support of older file formats, these can still be retrieved from FILERO because FILERO stores the information as a 'bit stream'.
FILERO indexes every document, including scanned documents (which can be OCR analysed by ABBYY FineReader), as the document is transferred, as well as all the data which is entered into fields. Put simply, FILERO 'reads' the document/data so it is full text searchable.
FILERO offers three rapid full text search levels - each of which searches the entire data catalogue:
- The Global Search is a comprehensive 'google style' search. It is available on every FILERO display.
- The Category Search offers the same full text search, but allows users to specify the type of document or data object that they are searching for.
- The Field Search allows users to specify a specific field in which they wish to find the search item. For example, with emails, this search allows a targeted search for sender, recipient, subject etc.
All FILERO searches can be saved as Quick Searches. These searches can be saved individually by the user or by the administrator for all users or certain user groups. Quick Searches appear on the main search page as well as in the drop down search menu on every display.
FILERO also searches all prior versions of a document or data object, for example thus allowing a document or data record to be found even if there has been a name change or when an element of the data record has been altered. FILERO's search options are secure. Users only see the documents and data which they have permission to view. Documents or data that match the search criteria but the user is not permitted to see are not shown in the search results.
FILERO's search engine is very powerful. For advanced users, complex object-oriented Boolean searches can be carried out using straightforward syntax. Information on advanced searching can be found in the User Manual, the Administrator Manual and the extensive online help.
FILERO accepts all digital file types.
In addition, FILERO has built-in functions that automatically extract document metadata (creation date, modification date etc.) from common office document types such as Word, Excel, Email and PDF. FILERO supports all of the Microsoft recognized file formats (your administrator can add an 'IFilter' if you have additional document types you would like to support for metadata extraction).
FILERO is designed to make it easy for any user at a workstation to route documents to the system. There are several ways to send electronic documents to FILERO:
- When working with MS Office documents or in MS Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird or Lotus Notes, electronic documents can be sent to FILERO directly from the application. Simply click on the "Send to FILERO" button in the toolbar of the relevant application.
- If you are working in Windows Explorer, simply right click on the file and select the option "Send to FILERO". Do the same with a folder to send the entire contents to FILERO.
- The transfer process is facilitated by the FILERO Client plug-in. This is a small software plug-in installed on the user's workstation. The Client can be used to monitor the document transfer process. You can also drag and drop files onto the FILERO Client window to send them to FILERO.
When documents have been sent to FILERO, they are kept in the user's "document pool". The user adds the document to the chosen location in the custom data structure by choosing the "add from document pool" option in the FILERO browser. All documents in the document pool are listed and can be selected or deselected. Multiple documents can be transferred and added simultaneously.
Paper documents are sent to FILERO in the same way after they have been converted to electronic files by scanning. Documents can be scanned by a network scanner, a scanner attached to the user's PC or with a central scanning facility. The data is OCR analyzed and made full text searchable.
FILERO's powerful SOAP-based application programming interface (API) allows the building of customer specific applications for adding documents to FILERO.
A significant problem with automatic archiving is deciding where to archive emails or faxes. Research and general experience have shown that an email's header information often does not reflect the precise subject of the email.
The automatic saving of emails also leads to the indiscriminate saving of spam, junk and other documents with no business value. In our experience, the automatic archiving of emails is counter-productive in terms of time saved.
According to the latest legal requirements, all documents, including emails and their attachments, must be archived for a certain retention period and should be saved according to the relevant customer, supplier or business contact. All information must be searchable, all versions of records/documents must be accessible and all data must be able to stand up to scrutiny in a legal case.
If your company policy requires the indiscriminate saving of every incoming fax and every email, inclusive of spam, we recommend doing this at the email server level to a compressed archive independent of FILERO. Fax software can be used which sends faxes as email attachments. This cleanly separates, both functionally and spatially, those documents archived to comply with company policy and those emails and faxes which are specifically saved because they are felt to be useful to the organization's operations. All emails and faxes with business value can be saved in FILERO according to logical criteria and are then available for daily use.
All structured and unstructured data in FILERO is saved in use-defined data structures. These data structures are known as "classes". The user can define as many different classes as necessary and combine these within a so-called archive, in order to define the relationships between the different classes.
For each class the user can define the necessary number of attributes (fields). Several different attribute types are available (Time, Date, Text, Number, Decimal, ID-Generator, Class Link, Flag, etc.). For each attribite type the system administrator can define further parameters such as mandatory fields and pattern checks, so that the risk of error during the input of data is reduced. Each level - the archive, classes or attrubutes (fields) - can be assigned different user access rights.
FILERO is based on an object oriented database with capability for OO and SQL transactions if needed. Don't panic though! Users don't need to know anything about databases or their functions to use FILERO.
Naturally. FILERO is designed with flexibility and customization in mind. Different departments and locations can use the system in different ways appropriate to their requirements.
For example, Administration needs to store contracts, insurance information, contact information, minutes for meetings, staff reports etc. Sales will need to store customer information, prospect information, orders, deliveries etc. Maintenance wants to store emergency generator data - and each department wants it stored to their own specifications.
That's what FILERO does really well. Each department can even define their own security and visibility settings so that data is available (and searchable) on a need-to-know basis only.
Yes. FILERO is designed for the creation of new documents.
Since FILERO retrieves documents in their original format (i.e. Word document), you could retrieve several word documents and use MS Word's function to combine the different documents.
FILERO also has a template function which 'combs' objects in FILERO to complete templates in programs such as MS Word with data from FILERO. FILERO's reporting function (ReportWeaver) also uses live data from the FILERO system to produce a range of fully customizable reports.
There are three easy ways to distribute a document from FILERO.
- If all the recipients are FILERO users, just copy the document's 'web address' from the address bar of the browser when viewing the data record. Paste the address into an email and send. Recipients just click on the link in their email and FILERO opens at that location. They can then view the document or data record in FILERO or retrieve a copy to their own computer with just one click. This method avoids creating multiple copies of the same document that float in email inboxes, or that could be forwarded to unintended recipients.
- You can email a real copy of the document very simply. When you view a document in FILERO, click on the 'attach' icon to attach the document to an email you are composing in your email program. Simply choose recipients and click send.
- Users that want to stay abreast of updates to a particular document - let's say, members of a project team - can subscribe to an RSS feed and be notified whenever an RSS update is triggered on that document.